Re: sysroot support in libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: sysroot support in libtool
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:09:01 +0200

Hello Richard,

* Richard Purdie wrote on Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 04:59:26PM CEST:

> * the person who integrated libtool into OE has moved onto other things
>   and the knowledge for a lot of the "magic" was lost
> * we're stuck on an old version of libtool (1.5.10) which we know you
>   won't be interested in bugs against

> * this old version "works" [...]

No it doesn't.  If it did, you wouldn't be adopting dolt.
OK, you put "works" in quotes, so I guess that's what you meant.

> In the meantime I will try and get Poky/OE using a much more recent
> libtool, patched enough so builds continue to work as described above.
> Once we get a modern version working it will be much easier to test
> patches and improvements in libtool and from what I've read, we should
> see some performance improvements which would be most welcome. We don't
> have patches to add sysroot support, just the sed hacks I've mentioned
> but if you'd be interested in proper sysroot support that is something
> we'd be interested in collaborating on.

Even posting the sed hacks or the diffs against 1.5.10 that you were
using (both to libtool-patches, please) are better than nothing.

Proper sysroot support in Libtool would be very welcome, but
unfortunately it won't be easy.  Of course there are more constraints:
it should work right in most practical cases, not just the ones your
package cares about.  Since it cannot be made to work on some systems
due to linker and binary file format limitations, it should degrade
gracefully on those systems.

I've tried it a couple of years ago, but gave up since I figured it
would take me all remaining weekends of the year to do.