Re: sysroot support in libtool

From: Richard Purdie
Subject: Re: sysroot support in libtool
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:42:04 +0100

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 22:26 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Richard Purdie wrote on Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:53:10PM CEST:
> >
> > The patches we're using are publicly available as:
> > http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky/trunk/meta/packages/libtool/libtool-1.5.10/
>
> Let's take a look at the simple ones:
>
> > nmedit_fix.patch - Call host-triplet-nmedit, not just "nmedit"
>
> This patch shouldn't be needed any more with 2.2.2.

Agreed, the nmedit code looks much neater now!

> > sedvar.patch - Fixes some issue we saw when $SED wasn't set
>
> Shouldn't be needed any more either.

Agreed.

> > tag.patch - The tag errors were breaking things for no good reason so we
> > turned the error into a warning
>
> Well, don't come crying for bad performance to us if you do things like
> this.  Letting libtool infer the tag is rather expensive, at least
> relatively, for 2.2.2 on modern systems where there are few other forks
> needed.

Going totally from memory, I think this exists since we have CC set to
things like:

CC="gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale"

and then this might change to

CC="gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=arm926ejs"

which is 100% binary compatible, just optimised differently. libtool
upon seeing CC change gets "upset". Sadly I can't remember how libtool
notices this change, it much be through some kind of state information
libtool saves into our staging area.

Thanks for the pointer on this though, I will look into it and find some
way to avoid it.

> > uclibc.patch - Tweaks to libtool.m4 to support uclibc
>
> If this happens to be needed for 2.2.2 as well, I'd like this one
> submitted to libtool-patches, ideally including a ChangeLog entry
> and testsuite results for this system, thanks.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind when updating and submit it if its still
needed.

Just for reference,
http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky/trunk/meta/packages/libtool/libtool-2.2.2/
are the needed patches updated for 2.2.2, albeit rather untested at the
moment.

Cheers,

Richard