Re: libtool.m4 not always copied

From: Richard Purdie
Subject: Re: libtool.m4 not always copied
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:10:54 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 19:03 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> I'm using libtool 2.2.3a (cvs, actually) and i'm trying to find out why
> some lib are not configured correctly, while other are.
>
> My problem is that ECHO and OBJDUMP are not defined when I'm configuring
> libpng 1.2.26, while it's perfectly defined with another lib. I'm doing
> cross-compiling for the cegcc compiler (i've improved the patch i've sent
> to the libtool patch ML, but i want to solve all the problems i encounter
> before sending it again).
>
> I've grep'ed OBJDUMP and i've remarked that with libpng, it's never
> defined, and in addition libtool.m4 and other m4 files that lib should
> (must ?) copy are not in the libpng directory. I don't know if it's
> related, but i prefer asking anyway :)
>
> I have the same problem with ECHO, which is not defined too.
>
> With the other lib, there is no problem at all. The m4 files are correctly
> copied and used.
>
> So I would like to know why libtoolize does not copy those files with the
> libpng library. And if someone knows why OBJDUMP is not defined, i would
> be glad to know :)

I'm in the process of upgrading Poky to use libtool 2.2.2 and noticed
the echo problem. libtool.m4 was correctly added to aclocal.m4 though
and I didn't see the OBJDUMP problem.

To 'fix' the echo issue I added:

http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky/trunk/meta/packages/libpng/libpng-1.2.16/makefile_fix.patch?rev=4267&view=markup

although I suspect echo = @ECHO@ might be better. I think libpng has
relied on old libtool behaviour which happened to export that and no
longer does so its a libpng bug but I'm open to more informed comments!

Cheers,

Richard