Re: move to git

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: move to git
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:47:21 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Please do not continue to use the CVS repo.  Its contents will soon be
> replaced with a single file pointing to the git one.

Ralf, thanks for the conversion work.  However, there are now some stale tags
in savannah's libtool.git, which point to commits prior to your various git-
filter operations (for example, the tag release-2-2-2
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=tag;h=c7bb42
points to http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=commit;h=2bbe5d
rather than http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=commit;h=724f291).
Are you planning on rewinding those tags to point to something more
appropriate?  And if so, please post the new SHA1 of the tags.

Gary, since you released 2.2.2, would you mind matching the convention of other
savannah git projects and do:

$ git tag -s -m 2.2.2 v2.2.2 724f2912
$ git push origin refs/tags/v2.2.2

That way, gnulib's git-version-gen script will produce a meaningful output on
libtool (even though we are not presently using git-version-gen in the libtool
bootstrap).  I'd do it, but then the gnupg signature would be mine instead of
yours.

> Thanks to Jim Meyering for all the help with this, and thanks to
> everyone who tried out earlier versions and reported issues with it!

I second that.

--
Eric Blake