Re: move to git

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: move to git
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:51:48 -0400

Hi Eric,

On 16 Apr 2008, at 16:47, Eric Blake wrote:
there are now some stale tags
in savannah's libtool.git, which point to commits prior to your various git-
filter operations (for example, the tag release-2-2-2
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=tag;h=c7bb42
points to http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/? p=libtool.git;a=commit;h=2bbe5d rather than http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=commit;h=724f291) .
Are you planning on rewinding those tags to point to something more
appropriate?  And if so, please post the new SHA1 of the tags.

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're looking in the wrong place (an old
libtool.git; stale browser cache?).

http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=commit;h=2bbe5d looks like the
the right destination for release-2-2-2 to me, and indeed
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=commit;h=724f291 shows me a
"403 Forbidden - Unknown commit object" error.

Gary, since you released 2.2.2, would you mind matching the convention of other
savannah git projects and do:

$ git tag -s -m 2.2.2 v2.2.2 724f2912
$ git push origin refs/tags/v2.2.2

I'd be happy to run:

  $ git tag -s -m 2.2.2 v2.2.2 2bbe5d
  $ git push origin refs/tags/v2.2.2

If you agree that is the right thing to do?

That way, gnulib's git-version-gen script will produce a meaningful output on libtool (even though we are not presently using git-version-gen in the libtool bootstrap). I'd do it, but then the gnupg signature would be mine instead of
yours.

Playing devil's advocate:

If Libtool moves to git-version-gen ala Autoconf, it won't be possible to do this
anymore:

a-machine-with-git$ git-clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/libtool.git libtool
  a-machine-with-git$ scp libtool address@hidden:
  a-machine-with-git$ ssh address@hidden
  some-machine-without-git$ cd libtool
  some-machine-without-git$ ./bootstrap

Which is apparently a common usage pattern for some users.

Cheers,
        Gary
--
  ())_.              Email me: address@hidden