Re: libtool.m4 not always copied

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool.m4 not always copied
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:54:25 +0200

Hi Vincent,

* Vincent Torri wrote on Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:03:48PM CEST:

> My problem is that ECHO and OBJDUMP are not defined when I'm configuring
> libpng 1.2.26, while it's perfectly defined with another lib.

That typically means that you are using ltmain.sh from 2.2.x, but the
libtool.m4 macros from 1.5.x.

> I've grep'ed OBJDUMP and i've remarked that with libpng, it's never
> defined, and in addition libtool.m4 and other m4 files that lib should
> (must ?) copy are not in the libpng directory. I don't know if it's
> related, but i prefer asking anyway :)

If libtoolize doesn't copy them, then probably that's because
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR isn't used.  There are several ways to get
the macros to be used in a package (including not copying the
files at all, or manually putting the stuff in acinclude.m4 or so).
If you suspect a bug, please post a link to the package, and the
output of the bootstrapping procedure (or of libtoolize --verbose)