Re: libtool.m4 not always copied

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: libtool.m4 not always copied
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:01:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hey,

My problem is that ECHO and OBJDUMP are not defined when I'm configuring
libpng 1.2.26, while it's perfectly defined with another lib.

That typically means that you are using ltmain.sh from 2.2.x, but the
libtool.m4 macros from 1.5.x.

I'll try to investigate, then

I've grep'ed OBJDUMP and i've remarked that with libpng, it's never
defined, and in addition libtool.m4 and other m4 files that lib should
(must ?) copy are not in the libpng directory. I don't know if it's
related, but i prefer asking anyway :)

If libtoolize doesn't copy them, then probably that's because
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR isn't used.  There are several ways to get
the macros to be used in a package (including not copying the
files at all, or manually putting the stuff in acinclude.m4 or so).
If you suspect a bug, please post a link to the package, and the
output of the bootstrapping procedure (or of libtoolize --verbose)

The library which has no problem is called 'eet'.

With eet:
 * AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR is not used (yes, not used)
 * libtoolize --copy --automake  --verbose   gives

libtoolize: Not copying `m4/argz.m4', libltdl not used.
libtoolize: Not copying `m4/ltdl.m4', libltdl not used.
libtoolize: You should add the contents of `m4/lt~obsolete.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.

With libpng 1.2.26:
 * AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR is not used
 * libtoolize --copy --automake  --verbose   gives

libtoolize: AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR not defined, not copying libtool macros.

What is strange is that in the 2 cases, AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR is not used, but with eet, the files are nevertheless copied

The link to libpng is:

http://download.sourceforge.net/libpng/libpng-1.2.26.tar.bz2

regards

Vincent