Re: libtool.m4 not always copied

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool.m4 not always copied
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:59:30 +0200

* Richard Purdie wrote on Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:38:15AM CEST:
> Let me try again to explain the problem. Makefile.am contains:
>
>         $(ECHO) address@hidden@@address@hidden '{global:' > address@hidden
>         $(SED) s/$$/\;/ libpng.sym >> address@hidden
>         $(ECHO) 'local: *; };' >> address@hidden
>
> automake expands ECHO_C, ECHO_N, ECHO_T and lt_ECHO but not ECHO
> anymore. libtool 1.5 macros happened to let ECHO be expanded but in
> 2.2.2 this is lt_ECHO.
>
> Since nothing expands ECHO anymore this breaks with libtool 2.2.2.

Ah, ok, you've got a legitimate case here, then.  We had been wondering
whether not expanding ECHO any more would be problematic for packages.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case, although the libtool-computed
value for formerly ECHO, now lt_ECHO, is not strictly usable outside of
the ltmain.sh script or the configure script, as on really old systems
it may expand to something like "$0 --fallback-echo ...".

In this particular case above, plain 'echo' should suffice.