Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:08:17 +0200

Hello Richard,

* Richard Purdie wrote on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 01:07:48AM CEST:

> I've had reports of Poky breaking with libtool 2.2.2 and have isolated
> this to people using dash as their /bin/sh provider (Poky runs the
> configure script with /bin/sh). When used in this combination, the
> global_symbol_pipe expression becomes corrupted in the generated libtool
> file amongst other things and I've included a diff of the corruption
> below. I noticed this with gtk+ 2.12.7.

That typically means that the configure script is run with a different
shell than the libtool script.  Beware: the configure script might
restart itself under a different shell, exporting CONFIG_SHELL.

I can successfully configure and use libtool with
  CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/dash /bin/dash ./configure -C
  make

but for example if you configure with /bin/sh pointing to bash, then
later switch the /bin/sh symlink to dash, you're giving libtool a hard
time.  If that wasn't the case, then please show how to reproduce this
situation.  For that, your $PATH, the /bin/sh symlink, your $SHELL, and
eventual $CONFIG_SHELL values are important to see, as well as how
exactly you configure and build the package.

I haven't checked whether gtk+ 2.12.7 munges with the shell setting in
its configure script.

> gtk+ also has the issues that it tries to run libtool before its been
> generated and I've had to patch this to run a previously generated
> version of libtool poky has around to solve cases like this. I'm not
> sure if there is a neater way to address that problem?

Gary has already addressed this part.