Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash

From: Ross Burton
Subject: Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:11:25 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf,

Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues <at> gmx.de> writes:
> > I've had reports of Poky breaking with libtool 2.2.2 and have isolated
> > this to people using dash as their /bin/sh provider (Poky runs the
> > configure script with /bin/sh). When used in this combination, the
> > global_symbol_pipe expression becomes corrupted in the generated libtool
> > file amongst other things and I've included a diff of the corruption
> > below. I noticed this with gtk+ 2.12.7.
>
> That typically means that the configure script is run with a different
> shell than the libtool script.  Beware: the configure script might
> restart itself under a different shell, exporting CONFIG_SHELL.
>
> I can successfully configure and use libtool with
>   CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/dash /bin/dash ./configure -C
>   make
>
> but for example if you configure with /bin/sh pointing to bash, then
> later switch the /bin/sh symlink to dash, you're giving libtool a hard
> time.  If that wasn't the case, then please show how to reproduce this
> situation.  For that, your $PATH, the /bin/sh symlink, your $SHELL, and
> eventual $CONFIG_SHELL values are important to see, as well as how
> exactly you configure and build the package.

I can replicate this on my Debian Sid (up to date as of this morning) laptop,
with the following configuration.

/bin/sh -> /bin/dash
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/home/ross/BUILD/bin:/home/ross/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
Using libtool 2.2.2-1 from Debian Experimental

The GTK+ autogen script demands libtool 1.5/automake 1.7, but autoreconf works.
  In a clean checkout of gtk+, I ran gtkdocize, autoreconf, ./configure (noting
the failures due to ./libtool being missing) and then make.  Then I got this:

/usr/bin/ld:.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.ver:2: ignoring invalid character `\001' in
script
/usr/bin/ld:.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.ver:2: syntax error in VERSION script

./libtool starts with #!/bin/bash, and echoing CONFIG_SHELL at the end of
configure reveals that it is set to /bin/bash aswell.

Interestingly if I then re-run configure the build works fine...

Ross