Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:03:08 +0200

* Ross Burton wrote on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:23:00PM CEST:

> I hope you can replicate this. :)

Yes, I can replicate it now.

> I'm working on patches to remove the ./libtool calls from configure.ac,
> but until they've landed those tests will fail.

When you do this, be sure to also fix the configure.ac script to *not*
*modify* deplibs_check_method, or export_dynamic, for that matter.

IOW, these lines look like culprits:

deplibs_check_method=`(./libtool --config; echo 'eval echo
$deplibs_check_method') | sh`

export_dynamic=`(./libtool --config; echo eval echo
\\$export_dynamic_flag_spec) | sh`

I don't understand in the first place why they are done this way,
ignoring the fact for a moment that ./libtool doesn't exist yet
(it exists the second time you run ./configure, which is why it worked
for you then).  One can simply
  eval `./libtool --config | grep "^deplibs_check_method="`

OK.  Since this is the second package where for a (long) moment I got
really worried that we have our shell selection stuff messed up, but it
then turns out that it's the package's configure.ac doing something we
don't expect (and don't like ;-), I'm going to stop worrying, and start
blaming packages earlier next time.

Note that, even if we went the way suggested by Charles' patch, making
  AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

be roughly equivalent to
  LT_INIT
  LT_OUTPUT

which may have saved us in this case (I haven't checked), but which
would not save us if the user later munges with, say,
deplibs_check_method: we still regenerate ./libtool at config.status
time and then use the then-current values of the variables.