link statically with one library and dynamically with another?

From: Jack Bates
Subject: link statically with one library and dynamically with another?
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 19:13:33 -0700

How can I link statically with one library and dynamically with another?

I am building an Apache module which uses libtidy:
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

Because I frequently want to install this module on Mac OS X, which does
not by default ship with a libtidy shared library, I include the libtidy
source when I distribute my module. When I build my module, I also build
libtidy, and statically link my module with it.

However I do not want to statically link my module with Apache or libapr
(Apache Portable Runtime) and I cannot figure out how to link statically
with libtidy and dynamically with everything else.

When I build my module, I call (Automake calls):

libtool --mode=link ... -module /usr/lib/libapr-1.la
$(top_srcdir)/tidy/src/libtidy.la ...

- which links dynamically with libapr and libtidy.

I tried calling instead:

libtool --mode=link ... -module /usr/lib/libapr-1.la
$(top_srcdir)/tidy/src/.libs/libtidy.a ...

- which did successfully link dynamically with libapr and statically
with libtidy, but libtool warned me that referencing .libs/libtidy.a was
not portable.

How can I link statically with libtidy and dynamically with libapr?

Thanks and best wishes, Jack