multiarch procedure

From: Steve Edwards
Subject: multiarch procedure
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 01:07:45 +0100

Hi,

I've been using libtool quite happily for some time but have just started
looking at packaging libraries for x86_64 systems. I'm trying to find out what
the recommended method is for installation of x86_64 64bit libraries.

Most of the systems I'm targeting are Fedora which expect 64bit libraries in
/usr/local/lib64 etc. and use /usr/local/lib only for 32bit.

The compilers I have installed on the x86_64 test machine all build 64bit
libraries by default (which is what I want) but $(libdir) defaults to
/usr/local/lib

Is the only method to manually set --libdir at configure time (I have libtool
integrated with automake/autoconf)? I was a little reluctant to have to tell
everyone building the libraries that they may (or may not) have to use this
switch since I really was hoping to keep the configure stage as automatic as
possible.

I've done some googling on the subject (with little or nothing concrete to show
for it) and it appears that Fedora libtool was patched for multiarch support -
although I'm currently uncertain whether this is still true.

I had a run through the libtool info at work and I'm sure I found a tantalising
reference to multiarch (with a comment along the lines of "unless you know what
this is you don't need it") but I certainly can't find anything on my home
system (libtool 2.2.4)

Any suggestions for a 'correct' approach will be gratefully received!
(Please CC me in any replies as I am not subscribed to libtool on this email
account)

Steve