Re: multiarch procedure

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: multiarch procedure
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 08:20:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Steve Edwards wrote:

I've been using libtool quite happily for some time but have just started looking at packaging libraries for x86_64 systems. I'm trying to find out what the recommended method is for installation of x86_64 64bit libraries.

Different systems use different approaches.

Is the only method to manually set --libdir at configure time (I have libtool integrated with automake/autoconf)? I was a little

The only way to be sure that things will work is to use --prefix and install into a different directory tree. If you advise to use --libdir, then you still have the interface header files to worry about. Interface header files often have different definitions for 32 and 64 bits.

I had a run through the libtool info at work and I'm sure I found a tantalising reference to multiarch (with a comment along the lines of "unless you know what this is you don't need it") but I certainly can't find anything on my home system (libtool 2.2.4)

Libtool 2.2.X includes support for automatically using 64-bit libraries on various popular systems (e.g. Solaris, Linux). Otherwise 64-bit builds would fail on systems which default to a 32 bit ABI. It does not include multiarch/multilib support necessary to build 32 and 64 bit libraries and install into that footprint.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn