Re: shared libraries possible with old g++, g77?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: shared libraries possible with old g++, g77?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:25:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Ed Hartnett wrote:

I guess what I am really asking is: should I expect these tools to
work with shared libraries? Or is this something that is known to not
work?

I don't see why they should be broken for shared libraries, but what
do I know? ;-)

Libtool 1.2.X uses the C compiler to link C code. Older versions of libtool would often use the linker directly. Maybe your old GCC has problem with linking a shared library. However, the problem could be something else such as the C compiler was built under an older version of the OS and is therefore using the wrong API headers, or some behavior of the OS has changed.

This is the wrong list to be inquiring about GCC bugs, and if you inquire on a GCC mailing list, they will likely advise you to simply use the latest GCC release.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn