Re: problem getting ARFLAGS to work...

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: problem getting ARFLAGS to work...
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:43:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Ed Hartnett wrote:
From the info pages on Automake:

  `AR' and `ARFLAGS' default to `ar' and `cru' respectively; you can
  override these two variables my setting them in your `Makefile.am',
  by `AC_SUBST'ing them from your `configure.ac', or by defining a
  per-library `maude_AR' variable (*note Program and Library
  Variables::).

However, this is not working for me. Nor is setting AM_ARFLAGS, nor
using a per-library variable. Here's how I build this:

We are aware of this issue. The most fool-proof way to built 64-bit applications under AIX is to set the OBJECT_MODE environment variable to 64. This influences the behavior of all of the AIX build tools with the minimum of fuss.

AIX 'ar' does have an option where it will accept both 32 and 64 bit object code, but the option did not always exist so support for the option would need to be explicitly tested. To intelligently select 'ar' options would require testing the built objects to see if they are 32 or 64 bit.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn