Re: autoreconf -i question

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autoreconf -i question
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:02:58 +0200

Hello,

* John Calcote wrote on Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 05:32:23PM CEST:
> Richard Ash wrote:
> >> $ autoreconf -i
> >> libtoolize: You should add the contents of the following files to
> >> `aclocal.m4':
> >> libtoolize:   `/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
[...]
> >> My question: Do I REALLY need to copy all of those .m4 files into my
> >> aclocal.m4 file? If so, why doesn't libtoolize (or aclocal) do that for me?

Do something like:
- create a directory m4
- add a line 'ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4' to Makefile.am
- add 'AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac
- run 'libtoolize --install'

to have those files each separately (and separately updateable) in m4/
rather than their contents copied into aclocal.m4.

> I'm thinking that the reason for this output is that by the time
> libtoolize is executed aclocal, autoconf and automake have already
> generated an aclocal.m4 file. Then, when libtoolize get's around to
> running, it appears to it as if someone has hand-written an aclocal.m4
> file, which it then doesn't want to touch.

Whether aclocal.m4 is hand-written or not, is decided by looking at its
first line.

> I wonder if libtoolize shouldn't support a "hidden" option that
> autoreconf can pass, indicating that aclocal.m4 is generated by prior
> tools, and it's okay to mess with it.

libtoolize has become a bit verbose, and hints you at a certain policy.
Not sure whether that was so good, it certainly has generated a lot of
list traffic.

Hope that helps.