Re: generation of differing static/dynamic lib names.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: generation of differing static/dynamic lib names.
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:12:59 +0200

Hello IainS,

* IainS wrote on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:08:22PM CEST:
> Is there an established method to achieve:
>
> libfoo_s.dylib
> libfoo_static.a
>
> using automake and friends together with libtool?

It's possible but not as nicely as not doing it,
precisely because it's discouraged: it breaks the
abstraction barrier libtool aims to provide.
(Also, here it's really only that the need comes
up on Darwin because its linker is so limited.)

I've answered directly on the GCC list, too:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-06/msg00259.html>

HTH.  Cheers,