Re: Compiling into chroot

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Compiling into chroot
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:27:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

 Besides cross compile, a use of a chrooted environment is to detect use of
files which are not currently resident in that environment.  It is a
poor-man's way to decide if the build is likely to work on someone else's
machine without testing on another machine.

Which file is missing? I don't follow you.

Any file. :-)

Another common use of chroot installs is to create a small OS-root environment with all of the libraries and files that the package is expected to need (could be a base Linux install). Then the package is installed under the chrooted environment and tested. The package should be able to run without saying that it can't find libYYY.so or fileXXX.

 It seems that there are many descriptions of this elephant.

I think you going to differnet place than creating a valid environment
for chroot.

That is true, but if more valid uses are identified for the feature then perhaps there will be more incentive to develop it.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn