Re: Compiling into chroot

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Compiling into chroot
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:19:30 +0200

Hello Alon, Bob, all,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:07:39PM CEST:

> The best path forward is that if you feel strongly enough about this,
> then prepare a patch for libtool which works for you.

That's necessary, but typically not sufficient, unfortunately.  ;-)

> The patched
> libtool needs to be tested on various host environments to make sure
> that it still passes all of its tests.  It needs to work for C, C++, and
> other languages that libtool supports.  If the patched libtool only works
> properly for one host environment, then it is not worth accepting into
> libtool.

Sigh.  Fixing DESTDIR support is a lot of work.  I think I threw a
month's worth of weekends at it once, and then decided to postpone it
for a long time.  Except for systems using GNU binutils, it'd hardly
work anywhere anyway (in order for to have libtool still behave vaguely
similar to how it does now, you'd have to have -rpath-link, which most
other linkers don't).

If there is some volunteer wanting to work on this (with lots of time on
their hands), please speak up, and I can try to dig out stuff and go
into detail.  Actually, if you're a student, and have free time next
summer, starting on this could be a good summer-of-code project.