Re: Shared library - static link specific dependency

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Re: Shared library - static link specific dependency
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:36:03 +0300

On 6/14/08, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I would like to create a program that links against your PKCS#11
>  provider DLL, and for some reason, I also need to link against OpenSSL
>  or some other library from which you have put code into the DLL.
>  If I understand your example above correctly, then I can get into
>  trouble with symbol mixups caused by that.  This would not happen,
>  had you linked against the OpenSSL/other DLL in the first place.

I may not understand what you write.

As far as I understand, if I have PKCS#11 provider (library) with
OpenSSL linked within it, and application loads it, there is not
symbol mixups, as the symbols of embedded OpenSSL implementation are
not exposted to the application. And as the interface between
application and the library does not share any OpenSSL related
element, it should work perfectly even if the application load
incompatible OpenSSL library.

However, current implementation forces all the modules (.exe, .dlls)
to use the exact same libraries thought instance. So if I use libtool
to build the PKCS#11 provider, I cannot provide a library that will be
independent of the .exe dependencies.

Alon.