Re: Libool picking the wrong library for dbus

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Libool picking the wrong library for dbus
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:07:41 -0500

Sandeep Puddupakkam (spuddupa) wrote:
> Peter,
> Your suggestion worked. Since we build libdbus, I modified the libdbus
> build to set libdir=/nobackup/spuddupa/nova/linkfarm/ppc/usr/lib in the
> libdbus-1.la file.
> Compiling upstart now works fine.
> One question though.
> Are *.la file only used for linking by libtool?
> Since all the files in /nobackup/spuddupa/nova/linkfarm/ppc/* are copied
> to the target hardware into the root directory.
> The libdbus-1.la file on the target hardware (/usr/lib/libdbus-1.la)
> would still have the
> libdir=/nobackup/spuddupa/nova/linkfarm/ppc/usr/lib.

Hi Sandeep,

If you are shipping a system that makes no use of lt_dlopen, where the
user is never expected to build anything then there is no need to ship
.la files. If, on the other hand, you expect the user to compile
projects, or some parts of the system make use of lt_dlopen, I would
suggest using sed to modify the .la files after the root is complete.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://pogma.com