Library tripled in size with GCC 4.2

From: Eric Gorr
Subject: Library tripled in size with GCC 4.2
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:30:20 -0400

I am using Mac OS X 10.5 and Xcode 3.1.1.

With GCC 4.0, the size of the debug version of my static library was ~400mb. With GCC 4.2, the amount of debug information increased dramatically and it is now ~1.2GB.

However, the real problem appears to be with the version of libtool that I am using. Here are the details:

$/Developer/usr/bin/libtool -V
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-698.1

$ lipo -info /Developer/usr/bin/libtool
Architectures in the fat file: /Developer/usr/bin/libtool are: i386 ppc7400

So, it is no surprise that a 32-bit version of libtool would be failing with this error message:

/Developer/usr/bin/libtool: can't vm_allocate() buffer for output file: libCore.a of size 1206037468 ((os/kern) no space available)

So, my question is does a 64-bit version of libtool exist?
If so, how easy or practical would it be to get Xcode to use it instead of the 32-bit version?
Anyone played around with doing this?

Any comments, hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you.

p.s. here are the details on GCC & ld:

/usr/bin $gcc-4.2 --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5564)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

/usr/bin $ld -v
@(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-85.2.1