Apple "libtool" [Re: Library tripled in size with GCC 4.2]

From: dherring
Subject: Apple "libtool" [Re: Library tripled in size with GCC 4.2]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:42:30 -0400 (EDT)

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Gorr <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> $/Developer/usr/bin/libtool -V
>> Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-698.1
>
> You are wrong here.  What Apple calls libtool has nothing to do with GNU
libtool.  You'll probably have more luck if you ask in a MacOS developer
forum.

FWIW, Apple appears to configure GNU libtool using --program-prefix=g so
it actually installs to glibtool.

As for the Eric's question about debug bloat, I'd guess it has something
to do with Apple moving from stabs to dwarf -- but that default switched
back in XCode 2.4.  Look for preprocessor macros like SDB_DEBUGGING_INFO,
DWARF2_DEBUGGING_INFO, and DEBUG_SYMS_TEXT.  But I'm totally guessing.  As
Andreas said, this belongs on an Apple-specific list.

- Daniel