Re: libtool optimization

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool optimization
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:26:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Michel Briand wrote:

I've noted that libtool is very very slow.

Are you using libtool 2.2.6 or are you using an antique version? Libtool versions prior to 2.2 were indeed very slow.

By default it produces shell snippets with "/bin/bash".

Current libtool still uses the shell that Autoconf chooses for it. However, if you have a faster shell which actually works (e.g. dash) you can specify it via the CONFIG_SHELL environment variable prior to running the configure script.

I tried this in configure.ac: is this the good way ?

export SHELL=/bin/sh

That would be a bad way since perhaps '/bin/sh' is not capable of running the configure script at all.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn