Re: libtool optimization

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool optimization
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:32:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Michel Briand wrote:

Honestly I wanted to do two optimizations.

Firstly, I've tested /bin/dash and seen that it's much faster
than /bin/bash on my normal sized project.
->> is it possible to choose the shell in autogen ? That way users do
not have to bother to call configure like this ?

If you did that then the configure script would likely only work on your system. If it only runs on your system, what's the point?

Secondly, I wanted to optimize the way gcc is called ? Why does libtool
need to create a shell snippet for all source files ? A Makefile that
simply calls gcc for each source file is much much faster ;))))

Libtool is for portably creating libraries. If you only plan to create libraries that work on your own computer, then you can hard-code everything in a Makefile and skip using libtool.

Regardless, libtool 2.2 and latter has been shown to have minimal impact on build times.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn