Re: libtool optimization

From: Kyle Sallee
Subject: Re: libtool optimization
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:28:55 -0700

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> first off, please do not top-post.  Thank you.

top-posting?
Had no idea what that was at first.
You prefer that retorts follow quotes.
No problem.

> And there is little point in
> complaining about 1.5.x speed without even trying out 2.2.6.

I agree.
However, I am not complaining about speed.
I am eagerly awaiting more sources to transition from
older libtool to newer libtool.
I wish that would go faster.
Okay, maybe I am complaining about speed.  :)

> I'm not sure what your discussion is supposed to lead to.

Nearly the entire point of my previous emails
was to specify that although dash is a faster shell for some uses
if libtool was made to run under dash
then libtool might not run as fast.
I wanted to spare the eager dash fans
from allocating the time and effort to port libtool to dash
if the outcome would become incommensurate with expectations.

I entered the conversation, merely because I did some various speed tests
with dash to discover where dash might be a better choice than bash.
If I did not have that data then I would not have replied.

Consequently, my message is not so much about libtool
as it is about what dash might be good for.
dash is a good choice for running small quick scripts.
However, I do not want to fuel an unrelated thread
about dash on the libtool email list.
But someone had a good thought to wonder and express
the idea about whether libtool performance
could be improved by using dash as an interpreter.

Thanks for libtool and making it better.