Re: Multiple -rpaths

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Multiple -rpaths
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:59:38 +0100

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 09:14:31AM CET:
> * Jan Engelhardt wrote on Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 07:39:56AM CET:
> > Is not that what libtool is supposed to cover up? Maybe not for every
> > make invocation à la `make LD=zzzld`, but perhaps determining the
> > type of ld at configure-time.
>
> But it *DOES* cover up.  Just use -R.  Reread my post, please, the last
> paragraph speaks about a special case that you may or may not need to
> use.

Maybe I answered your question only half way here:

For dependencies on libraries that are not libtool libraries (i.e., no
.la file exists), libtool cannot automatically add a run path.  Why not?
Well, libtool cannot know whether the library to be linked against is
installed or uninstalled.  If it is installed, it cannot know whether
that is the final location of the library, or a DESTDIR path.  So
blindly adding the directory of that library would break some uses.

That's one reason why you are encouraged to _not_ remove installed .la
files.