Re: Multiple -rpaths

From: Dan Nicholson
Subject: Re: Multiple -rpaths
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:32:57 -0800

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Tim Mooney
<address@hidden> wrote:
> In regard to: Re: Multiple -rpaths, Ralf Wildenhues said (at 8:21am on
> Nov...:
>
>> * Jan Engelhardt wrote on Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:58:36AM CET:
>>>
>>> So I guess the reasons why distros remove the .la files is because
>>> they are within the default search paths.
>>
>> Yes; and because some versions of libtool did the wrong thing wrt.
>> multi-ABI systems like x86_64.  (BTW if there are still bugs in this
>> area, we'd appreciate reports.)
>
> I thought the reason that distros remove .la files is because some distro
> vendors feel that libtool often establishes direct link dependencies that
> aren't needed, and those direct dependencies can cause headaches during
> upgrades?

I think this is a big one. Mandriva has a wiki page that has collected
a lot of information on this topic:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Overlinking

They are apparently using a patch from Debian to keep libtool from
linking all dependencies:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/libtool/current/SOURCES/libtool-1.5.24-link_all_deplibs.patch?view=markup

--
Dan