libtool check libraries always result in 'uninstalled' binary script

From: James Leek
Subject: libtool check libraries always result in 'uninstalled' binary script
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:23:25 -0800

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem. I would really like to build my tests as installed-type binaries when I run 'make installcheck' in order to make it easier to run a debugger on them. However, each tests requires its own dynamically loadable convenience library. This library is obviously never installed, neither are the test binaries, so the test binary links against this uninstalled convenience library, resulting in the 'uninstalled binary' script. Is there any way to get libtool to treat the convenience library as installed? After all, I will never actually install it, so the library is not going to move, so it seems to me that the script is actually unnecessary.

Here's some macros I use from my automake Makefile.am for the master/slave test:

check_PROGRAMS = Master Slave
check_SCRIPTS  = lt-Master
check_LTLIBRARIES = libslave.la libslave_cxxstub.la

nodist_libslave_la_SOURCES = $(GENERATED_SRCS)
libslave_la_SOURCES = $(DISTRIBUTED_SRCS)
libslave_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -release $(VERSION) \
                     $(MPI_CXX_LDFLAGS) $(AM_LDFLAGS) -rpath `pwd`/.libs

nodist_libslave_cxxstub_la_SOURCES = $(IORHDRS) $(STUBHDRS) $(STUBSRCS)
libslave_cxxstub_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -release $(VERSION) \
                             $(MPI_CXX_LDFLAGS) -rpath `pwd`/.libs

Master_SOURCES = Master.cxx
Master_DEPENDENCIES = babel-stamp
Master_LDADD = ./libslave_cxxstub.la ./libslave.la

Slave_SOURCES = Slave.cxx
Slave_DEPENDENCIES = babel-stamp
Slave_LDADD = ./libslave.la ./libslave_cxxstub.la $(LIBCOOP_LIBDIRS)

installcheck-local : installcheck-not-check
   $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) \
       LIBCOOP_INCLDIRS=-I$(includedir) \
       LIBCOOP_LIBDIRS=-L$(libdir) \
       LIBCOOP_PYPATH=$(bindir) \
       $(check_LTLIBRARIES) $(check_PROGRAMS) \
       $(check_SCRIPTS) check-TESTS

Thanks,
Jim