static part of a shared library

From: Matěj Týč
Subject: static part of a shared library
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:40:16 +0100

Greetings to all of you,
I would like to use libtool with a multiplatform library that has some
complicated structure (ASM routines, some 'main' function hijacking
etc.) I think that libtool may be the right tool for managing the build
and the linking afterwards.
So imagine this situation: You want to compile a (shared) library. And
you also have very good reasons for requiring that a part of the library
is build as a static library ONLY and that the rest depends on it.
So once more:
1. I want to build a static library "libfoo_unsharable" out of some
sources
2. And I want to build a (shared) library "libfoo".
3. Finally, whenever I link with either static or shared version of
"libfoo", I want libtool to link with "libfoo_unsharable" automatically.

And the questions are:
I use automake. What to write there
1. What LDFLAGS disable building of shared library from some sources?
Does the -static flag ensure that shared library won't be build no
matter what?  :-)
2. How to tell to libtool to link with "libfoo_unsharable" every time
you link with "libfoo"? When I have examined the libfoo.la, there was no
mention about "libfoo_unsharable" there...

Any ideas ?
Regards,
Matej