Re: LT_PREREQ breaks autoreconf

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: LT_PREREQ breaks autoreconf
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:05:03 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
[ adding bug-autoconf ]

Hello Jason,

thanks for the bug report.
I always assume first a user error. I'm happy to be of assistance.
* Jason Curl wrote on Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:01:22AM CET:
I have a macro and in the first lines are:

AC_PREREQ(2.61)
LT_PREREQ([2.2.6])

When I run "autoreconf" I get:
$ autoreconf
configure.ac:33: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
configure.ac:33: the top level
autom4te-2.63: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal-1.10: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf-2.63: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

If I remove "LT_PREREQ" then the configure script compiles and I can move forward.

Hmm; I can reproduce this with Autoconf 2.63 but not with current git,
with a test case of:
  LT_PREREQ([2.2.6])
  AC_INIT
  LT_INIT

It works in any case when I move LT_PREREQ after AC_INIT, or in a macro
definition such as:

  AC_DEFUN([FOO], [LT_PREREQ([2.2.6])])
  AC_INIT
  FOO
  LT_INIT

Autoconf questions: Is the failure due to a bug in Autoconf 2.63
diversion handling, and if yes, where is it fixed (NEWS and
ChangeLog don't seem to indicate)?

Question for Jason: you state you had the LT_PREREQ in a macro.
Do you expand (call) the macro before AC_INIT?  If yes, can you
show a small example that reproduces that failure?  Asking because
I can only reproduce it when LT_PREREQ is actually expanded earlier.
I'd like to correct my first statement. I'm getting my words mixed up and I meant project. Macros are on my mind from other libtool topics. Should read again more carefully before I send.

So thanks Ralf, you did recreate and confirm my issue.

Cheers
Jason.