plugins on the command line are renamed

From: Paul Biggar
Subject: plugins on the command line are renamed
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:25:38 +0000

Hi,

I'm unsure if this is a bug, or I'm simply using libtool incorrectly,
but I've read the manual, and searched the lists with a few likely
keywords, to no avail. When I include the name of .la file as a
command-line argument to my program, and use libtool to execute it,
libtool renames the .la file to that of my executable. For example:

$ ./libtool --mode=execute gdb --args  src/phc --run
plugins/tests/raise_globals.la test/subjects/codegen/break_six.php
GNU gdb 6.8-debian
<snip some gdb output>
(gdb) r
Starting program:
/home/pbiggar/phc_work/svn/branches/dataflow/src/.libs/lt-phc --run
/home/pbiggar/phc_work/svn/branches/dataflow/src/.libs/lt-phc
test/subjects/codegen/break_six.php -O1 --generate-c
<snip program output, which is just an error that it cannot find
/home/pbiggar/phc_work/svn/branches/dataflow/src/.libs/lt-phc>

The point of interest is that both the executable name "src/phc" and
the .la file "plugins/tests/raise_globals.la" have both been renamed
to "/home/pbiggar/phc_work/svn/branches/dataflow/src/.libs/lt-phc".,
which is correct for the former but not the latter. I have the same
problem with valgrind, which is called in the same way.

The manual has the following note in section 5.6:
     The GIMP uses gnu Libtool in order to build shared libraries on a
     variety of systems.  While this is very nice for making usable
     binaries, it can be a pain when trying to debug a program.  For that
     reason, compilation of shared libraries can be turned off by
     specifying the --disable-shared option to configure.

This sounds like its related, but its somewhat cryptic, and
--disable-shared doesnt help (nor does --disable-static). I also
thought that section 4.3, describing -dlopen might help, but alas it
did not (again, unless I'm doing it wrong - I ran "libtool
--mode=execute -dlopen plugins/tests/raise_globals.la src/phc ...").

I'm using libltdl, and the plugins and project are built with autoconf
and automake, and everything else works perfectly. I'm not using any
of the preopen settings. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, on X86_64, with
autoconf 2.61 and automake 1.10.1.

Also:
$ ./libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 Debian 1.5.22-4 (1.1220.2.365
2005/12/18 22:14:06)

 $ uname -a
Linux leondias 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Fri Dec 19 16:29:35 UTC 2008
x86_64 GNU/Linux

If you know how to fix this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

--
Paul Biggar