Re: migrating from libtool 1.x to 2.x

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: migrating from libtool 1.x to 2.x
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:13:37 +0100

Hello Paul,

* Paul Biggar wrote on Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 01:14:17PM CET:
> I've searched the mailing list and the manual, but havent found a
> solution. Essentially, it isnt clear how to upgrade from libtool 1.5.x
> to libtool 2.2.x. In particular, when reading through my old
> configure.ac, I'm not sure whether I should keep my old
> autoconf/libtool macro invocations.

Yes, it should be possible to just keep that.  More or less (i.e.,
modulo bugs in the new macros).

> For example, my configure.ac file included this snippet:
>
>  dnl Configure libtool
>  AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE dnl build convenience library, and set LIBLTDL
>  AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN dnl check for dlopen support
>  AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([libltdl])
>  AC_SUBST([LTDLINCL])
>  AC_SUBST([LIBLTDL])
>
> I can see from the manual that DLOPEN is no longer required, but I'm
> not clear at all on the others. Are they still necessary? (or is there
> a guide you can direct me to).

You can update that to
  LT_INIT([dlopen])
  LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR([libltdl])
  LTDL_INIT([convenience])

but just keeping it as it is should work, too.

At the moment there is no definite guide for upgrading, but searching
for the old macro names in the manual should provide at least some hints
(yes, this is more of an excuse, sorry about that).