Re: library versioning

From: Matěj Týč
Subject: Re: library versioning
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:15:10 +0100

Thank you for your reply, Ralf
> This is not possible, in general.  It has nothing much to do with
> libtool either, because typically it's just the system semantics that
> allow for only one unversioned soname symlink.
OK, but an easy check whether I can safely link with the lib would be nice, too.

> Of course, if you don't have to be able to have multiple versions
> installed concurrently, then all you do is use a configure test like
> AC_CHECK_LIB or sisters with the latest-added symbol that you need,
> or a self-written link test if the latest needed API isn't
> distinguishable by function symbol alone.
Another point of having a AC_CHECK_LTLIB - like macro would be a possibility to
check whether the version of the library is OK.
Sometimes it is not possible to use AC_CHECK_LIB to check whether a function is
in the library (due to calling convention).
Well, I just wonder what is the sense of the libtool's versioning system since
it can't be used by library users :-)
Regards,
Matej