Re: programs depending on staged libraries depending on staged libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: programs depending on staged libraries depending on staged libraries
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:21:09 +0100

Hi Dennis,

* Dennis van Dok wrote on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:46:49PM CET:
> I'm breaking my head over a problem that others must also have found,
> chewed on and spit out. I found plenty of messages related to my
> problem, such as the chroot discussion, but I just can't find the
> definitive answer anywhere.

Libtool has a problem with this.

I know how to work around this in some of the cases, using -rpath-link),
and/or messing around with the staged .la files.

I have no idea how to fix this issue in libtool in a more or less
general way, for anything but the GNU binutils linkers and maybe the
Solaris linker (haven't checked).  That this isn't fixed for binutils
yet, has practical reasons, for which there is at least a tiny chance
of becoming less of a problem in the near future.  That said, even for
binutils I am not yet sure we can fix the general case fully
deterministically.

> What I'm doing is building a collection of software, comprised of shared
> libraries and programs, in a way that all of this can be packaged later
> (as RPMs, or debs, or whatever). All of it is staged by using
> DESTDIR=/someplace during 'make install'.
>
> This is OK for a single library; it is even OK for a program using a
> library; but I run into a wall when it involves a program using a
> library that uses another library.

ACK.

The libtool/tests/destdir.at file shows what currently works, and on
which systems it works.  If you provide a further example that should
work, then we can base that for tests when we do fix things.

Hope that helps.