Re: -no-undefined support for GNU/Linux

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: -no-undefined support for GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:00:07 +0100

Hi Mike,

* Mike Frysinger wrote on Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 06:22:18AM CET:
> in a project for a LD_PRELOAD module, i like to use -no-undefined because
> undefined symbols will not work in it at all.  i would like to see a link
> error up front rather than random runtime failures.  googling around shows
> patches from 6-8 years ago.  they refer to an older glibc bug (which at this
> point makes it a bug on decade old systems) that should be accounted for, but
> otherwise there wasnt any response to the proposed patch.  is there any real
> reason for Linux not supporting something so basic as -no-undefined ?
> especially considering it only needs one linker flag (-Wl,--no-undefined) ?

IIRC lots of things would break on Linux if we used -Wl,--no-undefined.
I don't recall the details, but I'm sure glibc wasn't the only problem
child in this area.

Before we do this, I'd like to see some real-world exposure of it, say,
using it to build the better part of a distribution or so.  Running the
Libtool testsuite with it would be a good starter.  :-)