libtool searches '.' by default (was: unexpected emergence of --whole-ar

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: libtool searches '.' by default (was: unexpected emergence of --whole-archive)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:26:58 +0100

* Matěj  Týč wrote on Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:41:37PM CET:
> >> Maybe one question towards libtool maintainers is left:
> >> Is that detection of lib/libjpeg.la a desired behavior? I just pass
> >> -ljpeg as an LDFLAGG, not as a LIBADD library...
> >
> > Yes, it is.  It is also intentional that .la files are installed
> > (of course for non-convenience archives only), and those installed
> > libfoo.la files are taken into account when -lfoo is passed.
>
> Well, this is not about detecting of installed .la files, but about
> rather unexpected detection of .la files located in the build
> directory

Correct.  Sorry for adding the above comment which was a bit misplaced
here; that only added to confusion instead of helping.

> (that is also named 'lib').

> It seems that the current build directory is implicitly passed as an
> -L. flag to the libtool-supervised linker

No.  Well, first off, until this message of yours, I didn't know that
/home/bubla/projects/devil_modular/lib/ was the current build directory.

Hmm.  This line in ltmain.m4sh:func_mode_link is suspicious:
    lib_search_path=`pwd`

It was added sometime during the ild-branch; details seem to be lost in
the git history, so I can't tell whether it was added to fix some bug or
so (but I'd have some qualms to remove it without further investigation).
Does replacing it with lib_search_path="" fix the issue for you?

Thanks,