Problem upgrading Xorg--libtool issue?

From: David Ronis
Subject: Problem upgrading Xorg--libtool issue?
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:06:51 -0400

I'm trying to build Xorg (the git master version) on a slackware 12.1,
i686 box using gcc 4.3.3 and libtool 2.2.6.  The build/install went
fine, but the result was a disaster--basically, none of my pre-existing
graphical programs (e.g., gnome, firefox) would work.

The problem is that the pre-existing codes were linked against an older
version of Xorg, one that included something called libxcb-xlib.so.
This lib is no longer in Xorg, the needed functionality having been
moved to other libraries.  Nonetheless, when I try to run something I
get errors relating to libxcb-xlib not being found.  Putting back the
old libxcb-xlib fails as some symbols are no longer defined.

The xcb folks have only one solution: rebuild everything.  I'm sure that
this will ultimately work, but given the effort required, is not
something I'm willing to do.

So, I was hoping someone can suggest an alternate solution.  For
example, can I simply remove the libxcb-xlib references from all the .la
files?  How about simply making a dummy libxcb-xlib.so library?

Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Please CC me directly as I don't subscribe to this list.

David