Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:56:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Bernd Speiser wrote:

I am using autotools on openSUSE 11.0 x86_64 where I have a couple of libraries (notably the X libraries) installed as both 32 and 64 bit versions. I seem to have a problem which has been discussed several times on this list (libtool tries to link the 32 bit libraries instead of the 64 bit ones, resulting in a `could not read symbols: File in wrong format' error), however, all the ideas suggested there do not seem to work here.

This are the versions of the autotools
autoconf: 2.61
automake: 1.10.1
libtool: 1.5.26

It seems that your libtool is out of date. The current release is 2.2.6. It is likely to work better.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn