Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries

From: Bernd Speiser
Subject: Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 01:00:07 +0200

Bernd Speiser wrote:
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

I expect that the problem is that a .la file loaded via the linking search path refers to this /usr/lib/libXfixes.la file which does not exist (because it was deleted or never was installed). The .la files are just ASCII text files that you can open in a text editor.

Check your linking search path (set via LDFLAGS) and see what requested libraries do have a .la file which is refering to the missing /usr/lib/libXfixes.la file. Changing the linker search path might resolve the problem, or the wrong .la file could be manually edited, or even deleting the wrong .la file might help solve the problem.

Since I couldn't find the wrong .la file (no direct request for libXfixes.la), I used another route: I installed the missing /usr/lib/libXfixes.la from the openSUSE distribution (and also a couple of other X related .la files which were requested). Having done this, I come back to the error message I already had with libtool 1.5.26:

/usr/lib/libXi.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format

There are libXi.so in both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64.
Would that error message mean that in some of the .la files there is an incorrect reference to the /usr/lib path which needs to be changed into /usr/lib64?

Best Regards
Bernd

Bernd Speiser
Institut für Organische Chemie
Auf der Morgenstelle 18
temporary address: Auf der Morgenstelle 15
D-72076 Tübingen
Germany
phone: +49-7071-2976205 (office) +49-7071-2976242 (laboratory)
       +49-7071-2972098 (secretary)
fax:   +49-7071-295518
e-mail: address@hidden
Internet: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/speiser