Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:16:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Bernd Speiser wrote:

After some more experimentation, I seem to have found the solution:
I need to place `-L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib' in the LDFLAGS variable of the
program to be built. Then, I get the expected behavior (libraries in
/usr/lib do not interfere with those in /usr/lib64).
Thanks for helping.

Sorry that I was not of more help. It does seem necessary to specify the linker path to 64-bit libraries on the system. The fixes in libtool 2.2 seem to primarily be to assure that the correct compiler support and system libraries are used. Libtool queries GCC for the built-in linker search path but unfortunately GCC does not adjust its reported path based on the -m64 option so libtool needs to do that.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn