version and release number

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: version and release number
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:36:16 +0200

Hi

I've just started using libtool and in the manual you read:

Never try to set the interface numbers so that they correspond to the release number of your package. This is an abuse that only fosters misunderstanding of the purpose of library versions. Instead, use the -release flag (see Release numbers), but be warned that every release of your package will not be binary compatible with any other release.

what I don't understand is the "not binary compatible": if I use, say 1.0 for the release flag (and the version number correctly as stated in the manual), and release another implementation of the library with the incremented version number but with the same release number, why won't it be binary compatible?

Or does "not binary compatible" apply only if I increment also the release number?

Is it better to use only version number?

thanks in advance
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net