Re: libtool links with g++ even with only c file

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: libtool links with g++ even with only c file
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:50:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Vincent Torri wrote on Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 07:13:11PM CEST:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Vincent Torri wrote:
 Anyway, you can work around it by setting foo_LINK.

ok, so it's just a matter of using the correct link options

another question related to that. I have that following code:

libevil_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -Wl,--enable-auto-import -version-info
@version_info@

if EVIL_HAVE_WINCE

libevil_la_LINK = $(LINK)

else

libevil_la_CXXFLAGS = -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
libevil_la_LINK = $(CXXLINK)

endif

But now, it seems that libevil_la_LDFLAGS is not taken into account
anymore. What should I do ? pass its value to libevil_la_LINK ?

Ouch, I didn't think of that.  Well, one thing you can do is to take out
the libevil_la_LINK variables again and look at how automake sets it;
use the same string to override them (it will include
$(libevil_la_LDFLAGS)).  Arguably, this approach kind of exploits
internal Automake details.

According to the value in the Makefile, this:

if EVIL_HAVE_WINCE

libevil_la_LINK = $(LINK) $(libevil_la_CFLAGS) $(libevil_la_LDFLAGS)

else

libevil_la_CXXFLAGS = -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
libevil_la_LINK = $(CXXLINK) $(libevil_la_CXXFLAGS) $(libevil_la_LDFLAGS)

endif

is sufficient. The *_C(XX)FLAGS can even be removed. Technically, its value should not contain linker flags.

thank you

Vincent Torri