Re: Shared libraries on AIX

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Shared libraries on AIX
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 20:01:18 +0200

Hi Steve,

* Steve Edwards wrote on Sat, May 09, 2009 at 02:11:11PM CEST:
[ -brtl ]
> Should libtool be adding this flag, or is this something I should
> be manually adding via AM_LDFLAGS? Every other aspect of the shared
> library build is handled fine by libtool.

As Bob already noted, you should be using it at configure time:
  ./configure LDFLAGS=-Wl,-brtl

(or maybe set judiciously inside configure.ac).  Quoting doc/notes.txt:

   * On AIX there are two different styles of shared linking, one in
     which symbols are bound at link-time and one in which symbols are
     bound at runtime only, similar to ELF.  In case of doubt use
     `LDFLAGS=-Wl,-brtl' for the latter style.

Note that the Libtool macros will take some different turns when they
see -brtl at configure time.