Re: condor_compile and libtool

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: Re: condor_compile and libtool
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:11:05 -0500

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 01:08, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

>> config.status: creating Makefile
>> sed: file ./confstatiT3775/subs-2.sed line 40: unterminated `s' command
>>
>> and the resulting Makefile is empty. This is the only error and the
>> project builds and links fine when not compiling for condor.
>
> Please run
>  ./config.status --debug
>
> manually and inspect the leftover scripts.  Post them, or parts thereof,
> if you are having trouble.
>
> The error indicates that you are using an older version of Autoconf.
> If this turns out to be a quoting bug in code provided from Autoconf
> (which I cannot tell yet), then you might want to just update to a
> recent version.

This is building on CentOS5, which comes with autoconf-2.59, I built a
distribution on my laptop which has autoconf-2.63 and then configure
worked, however the following warning was displayed:

configure: WARNING: cache variable lt_cv_path_LD contains a newline

then when trying to build the following error is displayed:

Makefile:134: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.

and then looking at Makefile the following is around line 134:

127 LD = /opt/condor/lib/ld
128 ERROR: Internal ld was not invoked!
129 ERROR: Executable may not be linked properly for Condor!
130 ERROR: For users of Condor on Linux, we highly recommend
131 ERROR: using the default compiler that came with the
132 ERROR: distribution. Usually placing /usr/bin first in
133 ERROR: your path will remedy this error.
134 ERROR: To learn more about this error, visit this web page:
135 ERROR: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/faq.html
136 ERROR: and read the FAQ entry about this problem for your
137 ERROR: revision of Condor. -m elf_x86_64
138 LDFLAGS =

so it looks like its not picking up the linker correctly But this is
further then I get with autoconf-2.59 on CentOS 5. However these
machines are frozen and I doubt I'll be able to get approval to update
autoconf, so I hope there's a workaround.

Running ./config.status --debug and then looking at the subs-2.sed
script, attached, seems to indicate that its a similar problem as line
40 of subs-2.sed is the start of the sed command to replace @LD@:

s,@LD@,/opt/condor/lib/ld
ERROR: Internal ld was not invoked!
ERROR: Executable may not be linked properly for Condor!
ERROR: For users of Condor on Linux, we highly recommend
ERROR: using the default compiler that came with the
ERROR: distribution. Usually placing /usr/bin first in
ERROR: your path will remedy this error.
ERROR: To learn more about this error, visit this web page:
ERROR: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/faq.html
ERROR: and read the FAQ entry about this problem for your
ERROR: revision of Condor. -m elf_x86_64,;t t

so it appears that configure is picking the warning from the condor
linker, the FAQ entry that the above error refers to is:

<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.3/7_3Running_Condor.html#SECTION00837000000000000000>

/usr/bin is first in the PATH, but this error is still being reported.
I'll check with the local condor experts, but is there anything I can
do related to libtool/autoconf that could work round this?

Cheers

Adam