Re: condor_compile and libtool

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: Re: condor_compile and libtool
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 19:41:11 -0500

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 16:36, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Adam Mercer wrote on Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:11:05PM CEST:
>> This is building on CentOS5, which comes with autoconf-2.59, I built a
>> distribution on my laptop which has autoconf-2.63 and then configure
>> worked, however the following warning was displayed:
>>
>> configure: WARNING: cache variable lt_cv_path_LD contains a newline
>
> Can you try, with either Autoconf version, to use for your package
>  ./configure LD=whatever-value-is-correct [OPTIONS...]
>
> If you are using a config.cache file, please clear it beforehand.

initially I tried

LD=/opt/condor/lib/ld ./configure --enable-condor

and that failed to link with the error:

/usr/bin/ld: attempted static link of dynamic object
`/home/ram/opt/lal/lib/liblalsupport.so'

so I then tried:

LD="/opt/condor/lib/ld -static" ./configure --enable-condor

and that failed with the same error. Looking at the actual linker
line, all the libraries it is trying to link against are dynamic not
static. I tried doing exactly the same using the current libtool,
1.4.2 IIRC, and the first command above brings in static versions of
all the libraries and therefore works.

After speaking to some of the local condor experts at work, they think
that condor _may_ be quite sensitive to libtool version but I'm unable
to find any details regarding this in the condor manual. I'm going to
contact the condor developers to see if they can shed any light on
this situation.

Cheers

Adam