-objectlist in compile mode

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: -objectlist in compile mode
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:38:10 -0400

Would it be acceptable to add the -objectlist option in compile mode.
If passed in compile mode, the .lo file compiled should be appended to
the file for use with -objectlist at link time. The reason I am
wondering is I have updated to automake 1.11 to check out the new
quieter output. Unfortunately, it did not work on 1 of my packages
because it has too many files for the command line, so I made a rule
(taken from an older libtool/automake) like the following and then
pass "-objectlist libvsip.objlist" at link time.

.c.lo:
       source='$<' object='$@' libtool=yes \
       DEPDIR=$(DEPDIR) $(CCDEPMODE) $(depcomp) \
               $(LTCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $< &&  echo $@ >> libvsip.objlist

Thus, I changed it to the following for the new automake.

.c.lo:
    $(AM_V_CC) @AM_BACKSLASH@
    $(LTCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $< && echo $@ >> libvsip.objlist

None of this would be needed obviously of libtool had a -objectlist in
compile mode as well. I could possibly supply a patch if this change
would be acceptable.

Chris