Re: Creating shared and static libraries with convenience libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Creating shared and static libraries with convenience libraries
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:48:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Charles Wilson wrote:

Interesting.  I think that it is assumed that "PIC" code will work in a
static archive.  Apparently this is a wrong assumption for "decorated"
DLL code.  Most open source projects ported to Windows rely on GCC's
automatic DLL import feature.

Unless you're using MinGW to build a DLL (that exports data items?), and
is intended for use with MSVC.  Or your name is Bruno, and you don't
like auto-import:
http://www.haible.de/bruno/woe32dll.html

As a data point, I believe that GraphicsMagick explicitly dll exports functions and data when it is built under MinGW, however it has not used convenience libraries in its build for many years since they are so archaic. It does not explicitly explicitly dll export under Cygwin.

I don't currently have a MinGW DLL build of GraphicsMagick using GCC 4.X. I will try to do it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn