Re: Trouble upgrading to 2.2.6a

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Trouble upgrading to 2.2.6a
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:20:48 +0200

Hello Alberto, Bob,

* Alberto Luaces wrote on Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 04:52:09PM CEST:

> > > The only files present in my source tree are those three that I sent. Can
> > > any of the Autotools look in parent directories?
> >
> > Autotools only look in their own installation trees, or in the source
> > tree at Makefile.am and below.  Never above.

Well, not really.  libtoolize has

    if test -n "$ac_auxdir"; then
      # If $configure_ac contains AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, check that it was
      # not given in terms of a shell variable!
[...]
    else
      # Try to discover auxdir the same way it is discovered by configure.
      # Note that we default to the current directory.
      for dir in . .. ../..; do
        if test -f "$dir/install-sh"; then
[...]

and the configure behavior mentioned in that comment is documented in
'info Autoconf Input'.

Question is, whether the libtoolize behavior is desirable, and if so,
then we should document it, and if not, we should change the code.

> If those files are not found, everything works well. If one of them is, then
> no ltmain.sh is copied and the building system is messed up.

That is undesirable, but ought to be work-aroundable easily by using
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR in configure.ac.